Complex DRG Review
Our Complex DRG Review (CDR) solution helps hospitals identify and re-file Medicare claims where the medical record clearly supports the assignment of a higher paying DRG.
- HPS identifies claims with a high probability of being undercoded
- These claims are independently reviewed by medical coders
- Claims that have a supportable case for a higher paying DRG assignment are re-filed in the Medicare DDE system
CDR offers significant value to hospitals:
- Complements existing coding review programs. Current coding review programs primarily focus on ensuring the accuracy of all claims using random samples. With CDR, HPS uses analytics to identify those claims with the highest likelihood of being undercoded and reviews only those claims.
- Increases reimbursement without financial risk. HPS’s payment model is contingency based — so hospitals only pay if we find reimbursement.
- Creates a partnership between HIM and Reimbursement. CDR creates a bridge between coding and reimbursement activities in a way that benefits both areas. The highly targeted analytical approach to identify undercoded claims creates reimbursement opportunities, while uncovering areas of training and education improvement. This addresses root cause issues and provides a method to track coding improvement over time and monitor exceptions.